Monday, December 14, 2009

"Simbang Gabi" start tomorrow!

simbanggabiwb6

Tomorrow, December 16 is the start of the traditional Simbang Gabi dawn mass for nine-days in keeping with one of the most popular holiday family traditions in the Philippines.

The “Simbang Gabi” tradition started out in the very first midnight mass of thanksgiving held in the fields of Mexico in 1587 by farmers and their families to celebrate a rich harvest. The practice has since spread to other nations with dominant Catholic populations come Christmas time.

The first Christmas in the Philippines was celebrated by Miguel Lopez de Legazpi in 1565. Even in October you can see shopping malls and hotels decorated with bright Christmas decorations. Seeing a shop or hotel in the UK (http://www.britanniahotels.com/hotels/norbreck-castle) or the United States decorated so early is rare. In the Philippines however, you can even hear some Christmas songs on the radio as early as September. Already by then people are planning for their holiday celebrations and looking forward to the traditions such as Simbang Gabi. Since then, it has become the longest and best-loved festival among Filipinos. Even in October you can see shopping malls and hotels decorated with bright Christmas decorations. In the Philippines however, you can even hear some Christmas songs on the radio as early as September. Already by then people are planning for their holiday celebrations and looking forward to the traditions such as Simbang Gabi.

The dawn masses came to be called “Misa de Aguinaldo” by the Spaniards, which means “gift masses” in English that were later introduced to the Philippines from Mexico.The “Simbang Gabi” has become an essential part of the Filipinos’ Christmas traditions.

Up to this time it is still being practiced by most Filipinos.

Do you still go to dawn masses?

Do you complete the nine days of dawn masses before Christmas?

5 comments:

  1. Simbang Gabi is a proof of Filipino people's religiosity and devotion to the Catholic Church. I myself enjoy attending Simbang Gabi with my cousins, friends, and relatives. It gives me a sense of peace and serenity to be with my loved ones as we pray altogether and then go eat a hearty meal afterwards. - Pinoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Simbang Gabi!!! I often go with my lolo and lola who are devoted Catholics. We would be walking with other people as we go to church and pray. My lola would be preparing a hot bowl of Tinola soup when we get back home. The tinola warms my shivering body, awakens my numb senses, and brightens my heart and soul. - Pinoy Girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice photos. I was born here in Canada and I dont have many pictures of life in the Philippines. So I decided to make a website so people can share and post photos from the Philippines. I do hope you would post a few on my website to share with us living in Canada. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. We stayed for Davao back 1986, and they were memorable days.

    I hope you wouldn't mind if we link with your site, and linked with you
    using the picture you took for Midnight Mass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok lang po basta may link sa picture or article!

    ReplyDelete